Berkeley County, WV
Berkeley County was named in honor of Norborne Berkeley (1718-1770), former Colonial Governor of Virginia. The county was established on May 15, 1772 and is West Virginia’s second oldest county. An estimated 117,123 people reside in the county, which encompasses 322 square miles. Its boundaries have been reduced twice in its history: once on January 8, 1801 when Jefferson County was formed out of it’s eastern section, and again on February 9, 1820 when a portion of its western section was formed into Morgan County.